Jordan

Market overview

Jordan's public and private sectors are back to work, but a night curfew from midnight to 6:00am remains in force until further notice. Social distancing rules are still in place and individuals must keep one and a half metres away from each other. Wearing masks and gloves is also mandatory when entering public places.

Due to an increase in local infections, the government has announced that starting from Thursday 17 September, and for a two-week period, the following will apply:

  • In-class education in public and private schools is suspended

  • Coffee shops and restaurants are only allowed to offer delivery and takeaway services

  • All popular markets will be closed, with new procedures prepared by the government to avoid overcrowding in central markets

  • Mosques and churches will be closed.

The government has announced that new rules and regulations will be enforced to protect all citizens from COVID-19. One of these new regulations outlines that governmental employees and governmental department visitors will be required to download the AMAN mobile application, which will alert them in case they have been in contact with an infected person.


Government support

The Central Bank of Jordan has provided facilities to enable companies to pay the salaries of their employees. 25,000 employees have received their salaries through these facilities. The Social Security Corporation has also developed a new programme that aims to reach 170,000 daily workers or self-employed workers.

The Central Bank in Jordan is supporting economic sectors through different types of programmes that currently reach a total of 1.7 billion  Jordanian dinars. This includes support of 500 million Jordanian dinars for small to medium business that have 200 employees or fewer, and have sales lower than 5 million dinars.

From 1 July, sales taxes have been reduced from 16% to 8% for hotels and other tourist facilities. Service taxes have also been reduced from 10% to 5% for hotels and tourist restaurants.

Supply chain, logistics and freight

Customs continues to handle clearance as usual but long delays should be anticipated. Land borders have been closed since 25 March except for essential items. Several measures have been announced that may ease goods movement into Jordan:

  • Reduction in the regulatory procedures related to the importation of goods

  • Decrease in the percentage of goods being inspected for local use

  • Adjustment of the grace period fees and cooling charges due at the Aqaba Port

  • Approval for all companies listed on the Golden and Silver Importers List of the Jordanian Customs' Department to pay their customs duties in instalments (being 30% of the amount due upfront and the remaining 70% at a later date), provided that these companies are not subject to any violations.

Travel

Travel between Jordan’s governates has resumed and domestic tourism has opened.

Jordan’s Queen Alia International Airport resumed regular commercial international flights on 8 September. All passengers must complete a COVID-19 test upon arrival.

Advice for exporters

New Zealand businesses may benefit from reduced and deferred taxes on goods sold in Jordan. Sales tax collection is being postponed until the date goods are sold (as opposed to the date on which the contract is signed or the sale is concluded). This applies to all local supplies as well as imports of food, medicine and health-related goods.


Sector insights

As is to be expected, numerous sectors have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Below you'll find information on any COVID-19 effects across important sectors and industries in Jordan.

Retail

The retail sector in general is facing major issues, and a large share of the population is affected by it.

Many retail shops have been hit due to the government lockdown. These shops can no longer pay high imposed rents and therefore can no longer support their families as these shops were their only source of income.

Additional resources

Below you can find information and contact details for other New Zealand government and international agencies regarding their response to COVID-19.

New Zealand Government agencies

Covid19.govt.nz
COVID-19 helpline for businesses
Business.govt.nz
New Zealand Customs
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
New Zealand Export Credit (NZEC)
MFAT Export Helpline
MFAT Safetravel
Callaghan Innovation
Immigration
Ministry of Health
WorkSafe New Zealand
myNZTE

Global agencies

World Health Organization (WHO)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Contact NZTE

We're available to talk to you about any issues your export business is facing due to COVID-19.

For existing NZTE customers, please contact your New Zealand-based Customer Manager.

If you're unsure who to contact or haven't worked with us before, you can call NZTE on 0800 555 888 or email below and one of our Customer Advisors will help you.